5 pounds of roma tomatoes, washed & sliced in half
1 large sweet onion, peeled & sliced
2-3 large garlic bulbs
extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt, & pepper
3 cups roasted tomatoes
2 tbsp roasted garlic fleshall of the roasted sweet onion
1 can light coconut milk (reserve 2-3 tbsp for garnish)
3 cups vegetable broth (I used low-sodium)
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp garam masala or make your own
1 tsp salt or to taste (you may have to reduce amt. if you used full-sodium broth)
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
for garnish: garlic croutons, coconut milk, pesto, herbs, garam masala, pepper, etc.
Directions for roasting tomatoes:
1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. Line 2 baking sheets with foil. Season onions and tomatoes with Olive oil, salt and pepper. Wrap garlic cloves in foil with a bit of olive oil drizzled over them. Place in single layer on baking trays.
3. Place trays and foil packet in oven and roast for about 30 minutes, checking and removing onions and/or garlic if necessary. Tomatoes should be done after 45 minutes. Oven times will vary though, so keep an eye on them and remove when necessary, you want them soft not burned!
Directions for soup:
1. Add indicated amounts of roasted veggies (above) to a large pot. Add coconut milk, tomato paste, and broth and stir well.
2. Stir in the seasonings and spices to taste. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
3. Carefully transfer into a blender, processor, or use an immersion blender. Pulse for just a few seconds until chunky. You can also make it smooth, but I liked the texture.
4. Serve immediately and garnish with reserved coconut milk, a sprinkle
of garam masala, croutons/bread, and fresh black pepper.